PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS 747 Dubai Final Report
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2013, 19:51
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by last747fe
I was overseas when this accident Happened and for many months was devastated thinking had I been there as a PFE It might of had a different outcome. After reading this excellent prepared report, I now see that for sure there would have been 3 dead crew members.
I'm glad that you said that, because coming from a former FE it means a lot more than it would coming from a non-flyer like myself.

Having read the report I felt much the same way - regardless of the smoke/incapacitation factor, once the flames and/or heat had begun affecting the control cables it would have been effectively "game over" within a matter of minutes. The seven-four may be a tough old bird - one of the toughest in service, but as I understand it from an outside perspective neither she nor any other airliner could withstand damage to those control junctions and stay flying.

The report is definitely a sobering read - between this accident and National 102 at Bagram we've been privy to two textbook examples of a worst-case/no-win scenario, and my heart goes out to everyone affected.