PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 6
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 6
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2013, 09:50
Gentle Climb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure why everyone is jumping on WWW. Maybe he has a point (other than the profitability figures that I have no idea about!).
There does appear to be a degree of unjustified expectation that BHX deserves a share of the long haul market whether or not it is possible.
Simply reading here over the last few years there is an oscillation between BHX being far enough away from LHR & MAN to justify long haul routes on it's own, to being close enough to LHR to act as some sort of hub.
Perhaps the runway extension has served to fire up the expectation of longer routes and larger aircraft with BHX supporters. Who knows what the real impact of the extension will be, it's cost an awful lot of money? I hope that it works.
The long/er haul experience to date is that many have come and gone, only Emirates and Continental have hung around. The risk of attracting long haul is that it can go away again very easily.
The airport needs to decide exactly what it needs to be to maximise it's potential. At the moment it appears a little confused.
WWW is right, the airfield is under utilised. I'm based at BHX and visit many similar airfields that are generally busier places to operate.

I don't think that WWW made particularly controversial comments, even a moderator has the right to an opinion that may not be liked by all. I refer you to his comments regarding pilot recruitment a few years back. Highly accurate.