PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Non-Precision Approaches
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2013, 09:07
212man

Received 348 Likes on 195 Posts
Crab - CDFA means Constant Descent Final Approach. i.e. it is the nominal 3 degree approach you describe. The problem with an awkward MAPt I was referring to was the traditional 'step down' or 'dive and drive' all the way to the MAPt concept. Why do I want to be in "stable level flight"? I want to be in a stable approach, surely? My discussion was only related to Onshore published procedures and has no relevance to offshore ops.

Stallion, your point about 'descending through a hole' is understandable, but dooes not meet the 'Required Visual References' criteria and should you subsequently be faced with going IMC again will leave you poorly placed. Similarly, your circling suggestion could be bad news - why weren't you visual before the MAPT? Maybe because the cloud was thicker and lower before that point, and now you are turning and descending towards it! With broken cloud, there is always the possibility of encountering that unwanted 'okta' at the DA, regardless of the type of approach - PA or NPA (I know NPAs have an MDA - before anyone jumps on that).

I'd write more but I'm using a knackered keyboard in an airport lounge with very slow internet, so my enthusiam is waning! Besides, I hung up my flying suit yesterday, so what do I know anymore!

Last edited by 212man; 1st Aug 2013 at 09:12.