PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Need advice Ppruners!
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2013, 04:46
Abe Froeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gday

To be honest dont waste your time/money with either degree what you have is enough

You need a bit of work life/airline experience to get into airline ops department they generally do not take people off the street just with a degree.

I did Masters at UNSW but i found I learnt more working on the ramp/checkin then crewing than anything I learnt from my degrees

So I would aim for entry level job ie check-in, ramp or cabin crew, learn about how airlines work from the ground up then after a year or so get into airline ops

Trained a few ops controllers over the years and the best ops controllers have from from ground crew (ramp etc) coming via crewing into ops control, because they have learnt to follow SOP's, learning how airlines work (and they are a big slow engine and you need to learn how all the departments interact), learn flight numbers, how long it takes to turn around an aircraft, and most important to remain professional under extreme pressure and you learn this being getting yelled at by disgruntled passengers.

Airlines Ops is a very big step up from Uni, very big, the decision making skill under extreme time stress, multiple and competing objectives can not be learnt from a book at Uni.

The degrees you are talking about are more helpful for Fleet management jobs in the mines, which by the way pays twice as much as airline ops!

Happy to discuss more over PM