PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blood pressure
Thread: Blood pressure
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2013, 22:40
Radgirl

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
I am afraid the diastolic pressures (the lower number) in this table are really too high by current standards. There have been a number of MASSIVE studies involving thousands of patients over many years which have shown the diastolic needs to start with an 8 and be closer to 80 than 90 until maybe well into the 60s.

I am aware that suggesting the word DRUGS will bring forth a torrent of claims from the flat earth brigade, and it is true that antihypertensive drugs can produce side effects, but again objective controlled studies show that drug therapy where necessary to achieve these targets prolongs life and reduces heart attacks and strokes.

As for an angiogram, I dont like the walk in comments as in fact it is a significant operation with both morbidity and mortality. It should not be done lightly - only if there is clear evidence of a risk of coronary artery disease or valvular damage or congential heart disease. Many of us have a few narrowings of the coronary vessels which should be left well alone - doctors do like to fiddle.

Nowadays CT or MRI angiography is the safe alternative especially for pilots who merely need boxes ticked for the regulator.