PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pax Alleges Rape by Steward on Air Mauritius
Old 7th Mar 2003, 17:46
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's no such thing as a place where a rape or any other offence, can't be committed.

Many years ago, I prosecuted a man who raped a woman, trussed her up with her wrists and ankles tied together, took her purse and car keys, and drove off in her car. He claimed she consented to sex, but admitted robbing her afterwards and said he only tied her up to stop her calling the police so he could escape. Where did it happen? Mid-morning in a 'studio' shop in Hove High Street. When I read the brief I thought he'd probably be acquitted - very unlikely place for a rape. Having heard both of them give evidence, I had no doubt whatsoever that she was raped. Nor did the jury who convicted him in about 20 minutes.
I've long stopped believing there's anywhere a rape can't take place.

About six or seven years ago, I can't remember exactly, I prosecuted someone for the murder of a student with whom he was infatuated - but wasn't interested in him. Having killed her (near Crewe), he put her body in the boot of his rental car, drove to LGW and caught a flight back to the States. Her body was discovered a few days later when Police searched the car which he'd left in the short-term car park.
Where did he stab her 20+ times and kill her? In her college car park at 3.30 in the afternoon. People walking by who heard noises and saw them rolling around on the driving seat of her car - he attacked as she was getting in - thought it was two students bonking and walked on. I've long since stopped believing there's anywhere any crime can't take place.

It's a big mistake to believe it couldn't have happened. Some of the comments about the woman are a disgrace - we know nothing about her or the steward. The allegation may be true, or it may be false. Surely the proper thing to do is to keep an open mind until the facts are known?

I tend to wander through the various forums - there's not one for flying lawyers - and I notice different characteristics. This forum is quite different from any other in one particular respect: CC are obviously very loyal to each other, but there's always a reluctance, and often a down right refusal, to accept that any CC could possibly do anything wrong.
Someone has already said he wonders if the reaction would be the same if it was a female F/A who said she'd been raped by a male passenger. I wonder too.

Wig off and tin hat on!