PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation vs Seat-of-the-pants-flying talking as devil's advocate - so no abuse plea
Old 31st Jul 2013, 15:12
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sabenaboy
The Turkish crew still had the excuse that the A/thr did not perform as designed, because of a failure of the radio altimeter system.
Actually, ATHR performed as designed, retarding the throttles on ground. How did it "know" it was on ground? In computer logic; if RA is zero, then one has to be. It was not outright failure of radalt, it kept emitting realistic value, which had no semblance to actual, it's what we call "unreliable".

You can not teach today's computers to deal with unreliables. It takes intelligence to tackle them and success is not guaranteed.

Originally Posted by Capn Bloggs
Immediately reacting when you feel the @rse falling out of the aircraft instead waiting for the sight picture to change always produces a better outcome.
Except in rare cases where those feeling their nether regions falling out are actually victims of somatogravic illusion.

Originally Posted by RAT 5
Ref: seat of the pants. I take this to mean being sensitive to the g sensation of flying. I'm still amazed by pilots who can't sense this.
I'm still amused by PPRuNers seriously suggesting that personal g feel is something that can be used to fly transport aeroplane successfully.

Originally Posted by Chronic Snoozer
How ironic is it that Hollywood generally would have you believe that no matter how advanced technology gets, nothing beats the seat of the pants ability of a crusty old dinosaur or hot shot ala Star Wars/Space Cowboys/Flight etc. So why automate to such a degree?
Discrepancy between Hollywood movies and real world is part of the answer.

Originally Posted by mross
How can you sure of this?
Yes, we know, it's called many other things too.....

Flight Data Monitoring (FDM), Operational Flight Data Monitoring (OFDM),
You have answered your own question, lest you just know the names for it and are unaware what it means.

Meaning how do you (DozyWannabe) know when the protection has limited the effect of the pilots input?
He had read and understood them manuals.

I know what the envelope protection does.
What was the point of previous question, then?

Originally Posted by CONF iture
In Perpignan, looking at the elevator trace, the final resource has been limited by something, most probably the vertical acceleration ... But the BEA has never published that data ...
Parbleu! Scandaleuse! We should self-righteously and indignantly reject the report on shoddily maintained and lousily test flown 320 because there is no G trace in published FDR readouts.