PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are most airlines requiring fuel uplift calculations by crew
Old 31st Jul 2013, 12:31
catpinsan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Different reasons

In my company, before the introduction of the 2 man cockpit, the Flight Engineers always did this cross-check. But it was (I'd say correctly) deemed to be too much for a 2man crew and hence it was discontinued.

It was reintroduced as a procedure for pilots after an allegation that "those at the other end of the ground interphone" were indulging in malpractice at a particular station. I do not think the company ever found genuine malpractice, but being abundantly careful, the fuel uplift calculation was added as a check to be done by pilots. Prior to this the Engineering offered us the airplane along with fuel and other fluids, and the Captain basically trusted those involved in fuelling etc. and the gauges.

Subsequently it was incorporated in detail into the Tech Log for the attending Engineer to fill, and hence the pilots no longer perform the conversion of the required fuel from volume to weight, but they can view it in the tech log sector release page.

Anyhow, have always been wondering about the possible gambit among those involved, e.g. what exactly could be done with the misappropriated Jet A-1?

Ideas anyone?

Last edited by catpinsan; 31st Jul 2013 at 12:33.