PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Aircraft 'Emergency' Landing
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2013, 08:22
Nautilus Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In view of the dependance we all have in electronic distribution of data, it shouldn't be too hard for a boffin to find a way of attaching to the flight plan, the information the pilot (crew) has on departure - perhaps quoting a Naips reference.
Anything later could be automatically flagged and passed via Airservices or the company if approved.
Non users of Naips might need another authorised reference?
TAATS has every pending and active IFR flight plan, and receives every forecast (amended or otherwise) and every NOTAM. Go back to the way we used to do it, but automatically. Any info issued or changed after one hour prior to ETD/ATD (not ETA) gets flagged to the controller with jurisdiction (if already departed) or tower/OCTA sector/flightwatch HF (for pending departures) to pass ASAP.

As an ATC the only reason I can see for using one hour prior to ETA, is an underlying assumption that every crew, by whatever means, will update their met/NOTAM brief inside one hour of arrival themselves.

However, given this incident, Airservices may need to review its distribution procedures in the event of an unplanned automatic broadcast service failure (e.g. MIA AWIS).
I don't think there is any question, unplanned AWIS failure is a big hole in the current systems single slice of cheese.

If the major airlines are not up to speed on operational control, considering the level of resources available to them, then what is the situation with Australia's regional and smaller airlines?
Or, God help you, a private IFR or even VFR flight? As I understood it one of the objections to DCA/CAA Operational Control was that it controlled those in least need of it. At the time it seemed that the major and even minor airlines had ops departments (and arguably less commercial pressure) quite capable of doing it themselves.