PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOURNEMOUTH - 3
Thread: BOURNEMOUTH - 3
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2013, 19:12
Rivet Joint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adfly: My problem is not with BOH (even though I think that 3rd rate airports should be flattened and turned into housing rather than diluting a more successful neighbour) but the delusional posters on this particular thread. Both SOU and BOH have long been open to KLM even back when Scot Airways (for some reason) were operating from SOU. From memory KLM codeshared with them and chose again to do so with BE. If you look at the stats the AMS route from SOU is growing with each month that passes. Why would KLM change this successful arrangement?

Possibleconsequences/Davidjohnson6: Spot on.

Flitephone: An interesting view although I see no quotes to back this up? I certainly raised an eyebrow when KLM started a route to the morgue that is MSE but as you say it provides feed and I think they know that no one else is going to be in a hurry to touch airports like Teeside, Humberside, Norwich etc. Also I think a key point is they probably own their Fokker 70's outright so operating costs are so low that a 30/40ish load probably still makes sense to them. I don't agree with your comparison to the situation at other neighbouring airports. Bristol is a hugely successful airport and Cardiff is the capital city of a country so hardly a similar situation.

If we are talking about an AMS route from BOH then I can only see FR/EZY doing it on a low cost basis but again the silence from these two re BOH is deafening. Both cannot operate a substantial base at SOU (for my money they would if they could) due to runway/stand restrictions and could inflict serious damage to BE at SOU if they opened a sizable base at BOH. But still no real effort on their part. You have to question why? Even Palmair, who for my money actually recognised BOH's apparent market of oldies wanting to burn themselves silly, are now no longer. Adfly I welcome you to make sense of all this?