PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Final approach to finals...
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2003, 15:08
steamchicken

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Final approach to finals...

Right! In a very few months I will (inshallah!) be graduating from London University. I am (or I wouldn't be here) desperate to fly, and the next question is how... I am looking for advice on whether to stick my degree in my pocket and start struggling to get a cadetship (not many going), stick the degree in my pocket and look for a crappy job in order to pay off some of my Nigerian deficit sized student debts before taking on another wedge of debts, or take a master's degree - there is the possibility of getting funding for this option, so not putting too much more on the debt pile.

Advantages of a) are: If you want something to happen, you better do it!

Disadvantages of a) are: No money. Not many jobs, not many c/ships, could get worse in the event of war.

Adv. of b) are: start earning and relieve aching finances, possibly get another option in reserve. If the money goes well, it could even be possible to start on the modular route later. Wait out the crisis.

Disadv. of b) are: Putting time into a job that may lead nowhere, and if things get worse yet, making money could be hard.

Adv. of c) are: Sit out the crisis and go in with more certainty about prospects later. The Masters can hardly do harm and might do good - could do a lot of good if I don't eventually go into aviation. If funding available, then the finances should at least not get any worse.

Disadv. of c) are: Could be a wasted year, and includes the grim danger of becoming an academic!

Comments anyone?