PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blood pressure
Thread: Blood pressure
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2013, 15:35
Shack37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My BP has always been 145/95, now that's over 50 years, and he said "so that is your BP and your cardio vascular system has developed with that as the norm, i.e. it's been built to take it.
Hi OFSO, interesting post. As I mentioned previously I've been on BP medication for about 40 years. In those days medics were reluctant to inform patients of numbers, they would only say "it's a bit high" (for your age eg). In my case his actual words were "if you were 10 years older it would be acceptable".
As a result I have no idea what my BP was back then when first prescribed medication.

The bottom line is, I know I do need medication to control my BP now but how can I know that my BP level then was "Normal" for me and I was medicating unnecessarily? On the other hand, had I refused the medication I would certainly have been unemployed and possibly not reached my present grand old age.

The only record I have is from a release medical from the RAF, three years earlier, at age 27 which was 140/80, a touch higher than "Normal"