PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apocryphal SWO stories out there.......
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2013, 14:13
Canadian Break

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
long story ...but worth telling.

Not quite about SWOs (although one of the protagonists did act as the SWO on occasion). I had the dubious pleasure of being the OiC the Sgts Mess at one of the northern radar stations. The Rock Ape WO at the time was a charming Southern Irishman - charming but hard as nails. The other protagonist was the WO Officers Mess manager who was a nasty piece of work - employed his wife as one of the Batty's simply so she could tell him what was happening around the Mess and he would then use that information to his advantage. He and I never got on for reasons that were not apparent to me. Anyway, as OiC I was invited to the Sgt Mess Summer Ball - which I duly attended. The said Officers Mess WO was absolutely harry ****ers by about 1930 and placed himself in the foyer to the Mess to be rude and obnoxious to the late comers - especially any lady that appeared. Thinking that this was not on - I took him to one side whereupon he simply gave me a mouthfull and offered to take me outside and "sort me out". Discretion deserted me and I saw an opportunity to "teach this oaf" a lesson, so I was halfway out of my jacket when a hand appeared on my shoulder - said Rock Ape. "I'll sort this out Sir" - look, what's that over there"? I turned momentarily and heard the sound of a breaking nose. Imagine my surprise when I look back to see the inert form of the obnoxious WO being dragged through the doors into the kitchen, with his nose spread all over his face. "Shall we go for a beer Sir" says my new found hero! So PM, I suspect you are not reader of this august forum but, wherever you are - "God Bless You".