PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dreadlocks, long hair/ scholarship and jobs
Old 30th Jul 2013, 12:51
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a helicopter pilot you need to demonstrate an ability to "pay attention to detail".

One of those details is conformation, another of course is spelling and message content for the simple message which is; "I am asking for the privilege of working for you". By the way, I don't think that you are dyslexic at all.

Having said that one of our company's best pilots was one who authored a hand written, not very legible piece, that accomplished all of the above.

Another paradox to contemplate, and it contains many mixed messages, refers to a true tale related in one of OZ's leading blogs today. I know it is true as it was first told me by my late father who flew with and was a good friend of this gentleman.

The story runs like this; It's war time, an applicant walks into the recruiting office dressed in his work clothes straight from his duties that commenced at daylight as an orchadist, to apply for a fighter pilots position. The recruiting officer takes one look and says, "I am sorry sir but we require fighter pilots to have a university degree".

Clearly the recruiting officer was telling a lie as that was not true at all and he also badly misjudged his applicant. The applicant thus replied, "Oh, would an Oxford degree count?"

The gentleman concerned, none other than John Grey Gorton, who became a famous fighter pilot and prime minister of this great country.

Incidentally it was he who first took his wife with him on a visit to a war zone, not the excuse for a PM we have now who claims some sort of publicity for being the first to take his wife to a war zone when he took her to Afghan land just recently.

It wasn't a publicity stunt by Gorton but a very courageous move by Mrs. Gorton to help the troops who she perceived were having a hard time in Vietnam at the time.