PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF VC10 - Great Memories
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2013, 09:00
Oldsarbouy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I said on another forum I would put money on 808 staying at Bruntingthorpe and doing fast taxy runs as well as being used for corporate events as has already happened with 241 and very successfully. At least the sound of the might Conways would still be heard although, unfortunately not at full military power!
Morayvia staged a valiant attempt to purchase 241 and its small membership of volunteers raised a considerable sum but unfortunately not enough. Given more time maybe the balance could have been raised from the wider aviation audience but there is yet a chance that a portion of 241 could be purchased and mounted on a trailer like the Nimrod. Morayvia are hoping that continued sales of its VC10 Malt, which will soon be available for despatch, will add to the coffers as well as a considerable donation to the RAFBF. Feel free to PM me for details.
As an aside, 808 is the airframe that I thought I had wrecked in Akrotiri some years ago when, being a knowall, I opened the freight door without removing the section of hat rack that bridged the gap with the result that it ended up fairly well mangled. Blows with a hide-faced mallet made it semi fit for purpose until the time came to close the door at which point one of the red warning lights remained red indicating that one of the hooks on the bottom of the door wasn't closing fully. Numerous attempts made opening and closing the door with the same result and crew duty time running out fast. Decision made to night stop, disperse the pax to hotels and crew off to transit. Techies worked into the night accompanied by embarrassed Loadie who was convinced he had done the damage all by himself but seen by new squadron boss as hands on good chap.
Morning came and pax arrived back at the terminal but the problem was still there. Numerous attempts made, still one red light. Advice from on high was to tow the aircraft round the pan, that didn't work, next advice get everyone out on the port wing and try to close the door again. Still no luck but great entertainment for the watching future pax! Brize eventually found that 808 had past door problems and adjusting the fuel load should clear the problem which it did much to the relief of myself! 808 bless her and may she have a long retirement.