PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - John Holland Aviation announcement
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2013, 08:40
AEROMEDIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And these Asian MROs are doing this how often? Perhaps you blame them for, say, Air France 447?

Seriously, if you have a genuine complaint against Asian MROs then let's examine the evidence rather than just smearing them.
Romulus,
It is on record that a Qantas aircraft had a lap joint inspection carried out by an Asian MRO. The inspection required sealant removal from the area to inspect the structure. What occurred was the use of sharp implements such as knives to remove the sealant as it was taking too long to remove the sealant in the approved manner. The resultant scoring was not reported nor repaired and was not discovered until the next lap joint inspection BY Qantas years later. Subsequent NDI results showed that the scores had become cracks. People in the industry are saying this is just one of many.
I'd accept that improvements have been made to quality control and oversight since then, but I HAVE witnessed seriously flawed work practices at a site I was visiting. The action I took, including a solution, did remedy the situation at the time, but it was not welcomed. I make no apology for that.

I do not know how often events like this occur, nor do I know if there are any others, but the alarm bells are ringing.
As to aircraft falling out of the sky, I don't expect that to happen, but my yardstick would be those discovered with major defects (any defect affecting the safety of the aircraft).

Can't wait for the 787 to come to town (I think).

Last edited by AEROMEDIC; 30th Jul 2013 at 08:44.