PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Smith looks at Fuel Costs
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2013, 00:26
Mick Stuped

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rising costs will kill regional aviation

XXX, doesn't matter how much oil we produce the price at the bowser will never drop dramatically to many big players making to much money to worry about the little guy.

Its a worry that we are loosing avgas refinery's with shortly only Kwinana producing it I am informed.

Shortly all avgas will be imported so no wonder diesels are becoming popular as the sky will be the limit for the Avgas price pardon the pun however I am sure JetA1 will be hard on its heels as well.

Best I have paid for Avgas lately in the outback was drum fuel at $4.95 per litre and the average in the bush is around the $3.00 per litre and you have to take the whole drum.

This is mainly due to the fact that it has to be drum fuel and trucked in if they sell small amounts or the only other option for bulk supplier they have to take a full tanker at a time as they are no longer allowed to mix fuel types on the same load for a remote delivery due to contamination issues between fuels.

Farmers/Miners can be claim the excise back for fuel both diesel and UL they can even claim a portion of on road fuels used as well. Why cannot air operators that supply a vital need to the bush get some respite from the increasing costs and be able to claim back fuel taxes for business use as well for fuel?

At the end of the day Aviation is keeping cars off roads so reducing the outback road repair costs, burning less fuel per km than a car so less carbon emissions, and all those good green things yet the powers that be seem hell bent on destroying the reason that kicked aviation off all those years ago, the basic need to service remote and rural Australia.