PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blood pressure
Thread: Blood pressure
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2013, 22:19
Shack37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there any issues with that? I understand the flying whilst under
medication rules etc. But If my GP suggests medication to get it nicely under the current 160/95 (CAA medical) threshold, and I agree, How long would it take to "prove" that the GP prescribed (CAA friendly drugs) treatment was effective, and that there were no side effects?
I'm just trying to work it all into line with my next medical, (if required) to try and break the cycle of continuing borderline (BP) passes.
I've been on anti hypertensives since age 30. Not aircrew but my job depended on passing an annual medical.

1.Are you getting lower readings with self monitoring? (See White Coat Syndrome)
2.All drugs have side effects, some people are affected more than others.
3.Personally if I was struggling to stay below 160/95 I think I'd prefer to have my BP controlled medically. Especially the 95.
4.Ask your GP to have you fitted with a 24 hour mobile monitor which will provide a round the clock record through a variety of situations. I've used this device on two occasions and both times the highest readings were recorded in the hospital on fitting it and removing it.

Good luck