PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting into the commercial aviation world
Old 29th Jul 2013, 22:15
BreakNeckSpeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tend to agree with a few of aeromatt's comments...
It's not going to be cheap, whichever route you take (save for military).

Uni degrees really don't help except for "giving you something to fall back on" in the case of losing a medical down the track etc - this seems to be a common motivator there. The risk with the schools associated with uni degrees are the markup on flight training and the fact that the school gets paid for your flying upfront (by the uni or you) which leaves you in a sticky situation if you become dissatisfied with the product you are receiving.
The benefit here of course, is the HECS/HELP coverage that is now available for these courses.

Generally speaking I am not in favour of the cadet path as you will miss out on the opportunity to experience and develop all the challenges of single pilot work which, will no doubt involve some time in a remote community flying around the sticks and hopefully, having a ball! As identified by aeromat, many experienced hands will tell you that the most fun they had was in their initial bush bashing days.

That said, I know of a few people who did the Sharp Airlines cadetship and from what I have seen, it seems to offer a good initial grounding in the industry. On completion of the CPL they go into the RHS of a Metro for a few months, get some initial exposure to multi crew in a multi engine turbine aircraft and importantly, learn the importance of SOP's etc, before being spudded out into the industry to fend for themselves. I know a few get the direct entry into RHS at other regionals from there, but many find themselves in GA. Those with the right attitude seem to make a good go of it, those without, funnily enough, wonder why noone will give them a job.

Either way it's going to be a hard slog and will continue to cost you a bucket load well into the future. If you want to be here for the right reasons, you will find a way to make it work. Be sure to keep your dignity and integrity in tact in the process though!!

Good luck.