PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2013, 18:41
MPN11

Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts
Thought you'd like that, Danny

Yes, even in 65 we still had that awful little Visual Control Room - so small you could hardly swing a china graph, and with a sliding door and random reflections everywhere. And the outside staircase, so still the WW2 tower.

CADF/CDRF really taught new kids like me about overall situational awareness in all 4 dimensions … stopwatches flying on and off, traces leaping in all directions, all the assorted procedures associated with Refresher Flying … including, as you mentioned previously, the Speechless No Compass No Gyro Recovery. More tales of that on request!

The MPN11 was the "other version" of the same GCA kit.
MPN = Mobile Pulse Navigator = road transportable
CPN = Cargo Pulse Navigator = air transportable
And, yes, that squawk box - was it GCA or Local? Sure it was GCA.
Large circular thing on the right was a indeed a loudspeaker - I think it was used for monitoring the Guard frequencies.

Manby had that awful Cossor ACR-7 with the tilting antenna that could handle one aircraft on SRA. Strubby would regularly have 2 and sometimes 3 on Talkdown, with the Director doing his bit as well.

Although Strubby was, in my time, just Varsity/Canberra we used to have a regular weekend visitor from Chivenor … one Sgt Boulter (personal c/s was either 63 or 69) in a Meteor T7 who would pitch up every Friday afternoon to spend the weekend with his girlfriend, and be first away on Monday to get back in time for the 2nd wave.

I'll PM you with a bit of Shawbury info (dates etc). Glad I stumbled on this thread, during a bored moment!

Last edited by MPN11; 29th Jul 2013 at 19:21.