PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Smith looks at Fuel Costs
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2013, 13:31

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
If Dick gets involved, it will end up costing you more.
If it is produced in Oz, I am happy to pay.

If my pay is at first world rates, I do not expect others in Oz to work for nothing to try to compete with product produced with 3rd world wages paid overseas.

I was intrigued by a current affairs program advertorial on KMart where a middle class customer was over the moon because she could buy a pair of jeans for under $10.00.

I wondered to myself if she would be willing take a consummate pay cut equivalent to the reduction in the price of those KMart jeans compared to a pair of jeans made in Oz.

We are exporting all out manufacturing jobs overseas. We will soon be hit with large increases in gas prices once we start to export Qld CNG to the overseas markets in a big way.

As most of our new power stations are gas fired, this increase in gas cost will flow on to increased cost of power.

We should have introduced a policy, as they do so often in California to set a standard for all of the US, where XX% of new cars manufactured in or imported into the country are powered by CNG.

Why do we export a fuel like CNG and import liquid fuels at ever increasing cost when CNG can do the same job at a lower domestic cost, not one based on world parity.

Last edited by 601; 29th Jul 2013 at 13:34.