PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sky demon / ipad
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2013, 12:37
Rhino25782

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And by the time you start using GPS, don't try to do it on your own but get an instructor (or experienced pilot) to show you how to use GPS effectively, without becoming a slave to the magenta line.
Hi Backpacker,

Can you elaborate on this?

I'm very low hours post PPL and I've just added the GPS Nav option for my existing SkyDemon subscription and used it on the iPad Mini for the first time in flight this weekend. This was also one of my very early cross country flights as PIC with passengers. I loved the ease-of-mind and the extra confidence SkyDemon gave me - especially as I had more "mental capacity" to "be with" the passenger.

I like to think I used it in a pragmatic way. I did not follow the magenta line very much (as proven by the visual log of the actual flight path that you can view afterwards). In fact, I flew mostly visually as I know the area quite well (from the ground at least) and shot a glance at the moving map every now and then to reconfirm my general track and more importantly to stay away from nasty airspace.

However, are there any hints you had in mind when you wrote "how to use GPS effectively" that I can consider next time I fly?

Cheers

Patrick