PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Moth Modification
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2003, 10:50
treadigraph
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 341 Likes on 187 Posts
To amplify LowNSlow's reply, they took the DH-60 which had straight, un-staggered wings, shifted the top wing forward to improve access to the front coockpit (or, more likely EGRESS in the event of the need to bail out!) and then swept the wings back to maintain the c of g. Think - and I can't quite remember - they achieved this by removing a section of the trailing edge (no! - it was the rear spar!) and realigning the inboard rib! Hence the ribs don't align with the airflow! Wonder if this resulted in a significant increase in drag?
Oh, and the lower wings are slightly more swept back than the uppers... I think...

How did they do this? A few designers and engineers, a DH-60T airframe, a few spanners and, one imagines, a hacksaw - not so much designed as cobbled together!!! Presumably then produced the drawings...

The early DH-82s also had wingtips that were close to the ground due to the sweep back, so the mod to DH-82a standard included shortening the interplane struts to increase dihedral of the lower mainplanes and thus ground clearance at the tips. Think there is only one DH-82 stil flying, in Sweden.

Know what you mean canadair, much as I admire the Beverley, it's an interesting thought that it was designed close to the same time as the C-130!

Last edited by treadigraph; 7th Mar 2003 at 16:24.