PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting into the commercial aviation world
Old 29th Jul 2013, 08:27
Alec_K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting into the commercial aviation world

Hi guys,

I have started to do some serious research into various ways student pilots are able to get into airline companies, and I thought I might pop my dilemma here and see if there are any particular views / opinions or ideas that might help me out.

I myself have a BA degree and have started a masters in aviation theory (airline/airport management, investigations, laws&regs etc) as well as having a BAK and sitting the PPL test when I have some free time.

I have found up to this point, going through the GA world, lessons are quite expensive. I have always done the theory 'self taught' and it has worked to this point, however I feel I'm not getting the most out of it. I have seen a couple cadet pilot programs going around (Jetstar and Virgin come to mind), where they offer an attractive option to becoming a commercial pilot, if selected. Cathay Pacific is another that comes to mind, however at the moment it's only up for Hong Kong residents. If I was to go down the GA private school path, I would have to continue paying the big bucks and relying on self taught studies just to get the CPL done, not to mention cough up more cash for an instructors rating and work as an instructor for income and hours.

I am debating whether to finish my CPL license through the private school which I am flying at, or start applying around to the various cadet pilot programs both in Australia and Europe where I am able to live and work, whilst waiting on airlines such as Cathay to open up programs to Australian residents. I am at a point where I strongly believe I have an attractive enough resume and background in aviation for someone my age to get in the door of company interviews, and happy to start from the basics at a cadet pilot program.

I was also wondering if any of you guys know of cadet pilot programs that begin with the pilot already having his/her CPL, hence giving students an incentive to complete CPL's outside cadet programs and join the 'advanced' so to speak, pilot programs. I would love any input from you guys if you have any experience in the topic (job prospects after completing cadet programs, costs and hidden fees, lifestyle etc), had or have friends going through this etc etc.

Apologies if this type of post has been posted a million times.

Many thanks.