PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Electrical Smoke Procedure
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2013, 08:24
Flo121142

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A320 Electrical Smoke Procedure

Hi,
I'm just preparing for my A320 LPC and read again trough the smoke procedure. It advises you to consider setting ELEC EMER configuration if you suspect electrical smoke or are unable to determine the smoke origin. This way you might be able to stop smoke generation and you should be able to restore all systems prior to landing, except IR 2 and IR 3 (which are lost 5mn after setting ELEC EMER config). According to the list in QRH you need at least two IRs to do an autoland, therefore you loose this capability, which might be a very valuable option if the ELEC EMER config didn't remove the smoke (it would be far easier to do an autoland than doing a manual approach and landing in a cockpit environment filled with dense smoke with hardly any visibility). I found out that there is a way to retain IR 3 in ELEC EMER config by putting the ATT/HDG switch on CAPT 3.
Now I wonder why this is not considered by Airbus? Are there any reasons which might make this selection undesirable?
Perhaps there are some expirienced guys in here which might shed some light on this matter. Thanks for your help.