PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - John Holland Aviation announcement
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2013, 00:36
Clipped

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is why SIAEC, built with the assistance of Qantas, is now in a position they are a superior value offering to QF engineering.
Having seen what I have seen over many years with regards to Asian MROs, there is no doubt, they offer, in the eyes of an accountant, superior 'value'. In money terms, they do it cheaper. This is not only achieved by lower wage costs but also their advantage of (lack of) ancillary costs of infrastructure (compliant stands, lighting, PPE etc), regulation (approved data and procedures, materials etc), cultural and commercial pressures.

I will argue that there is only one way to rig a cable system properly, to inspect a fuselage crown properly, to seal the floors underneath a galley or lavatory properly, to remove and install a MEC properly, identify and repair corrosion properly and etc etc. Those procedures are stipulated in approved data and when adhered to, offer vary little in deviation. The approach to maintenance, historically, has been a way that an Australian maintenance engineer has learned from day one.

On the other hand, if you watched the approach of an Asian MRO personnel to any of the above examples, I can assure you, there is a vastly different view and execution.

Yes, they just shortcut. I may immediately be branded a racist, a counter that management favour, but if you have ever been involved on the hangar floor with these organisations and cannot see this - you are blind, ignorant, stupid or all.

This approach, coupled with these MROs fine tuning their sales pitch - D check in 28 days at a fixed $$$$ then appears to bean counters an unbeatable financial advantage. Thus we have this dilemma of Oz maintenance facilities unable to compete.

There is no doubt that we can fine tune our processes here. We have tried, lean sigma, committees and all sorts of neo management catch phrases then to be thrown another road block, unusable IT, more OH&S, more regulation, by the same management. Have I even the mentioned the industrial agenda.

I could go on and on, it's complicated. My only wish was that there was a genuine attempt by management to address all these issues and move our industry forward with certainty. All buzz words that are thrown around without substance.