PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus Direct Entry First Officers
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2013, 23:56
truckflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the issues is that over-supply is good for both the FTO's, as they make more money and for the airlines, as because of this they can squeeze down T & C's of future contracts.

Believe me the view from the inside is pretty dim too, I have met and know so many guys, who have thousands of hours, some also with command time, Airbus 320, B737 - are stuck in jobs that they are very unhappy with.

There used to be a belief that earn your experience, and something good would be out there waiting for you, however now, it's not there anymore.

Sure I appreciate that there should be a mix of cadets and non-cadets, but there is something wrong in society, when there probably in the UK are several thousand pilots without a job, and every month hundreds of more are trained.

If the rumors here are true, that 3000 - 4000 guys applied for around 30 - 50 jobs, just imagine what the problem is.

Imagine a real pilot shortage, what it would mean, the airlines do not want this, and of course the FTO's - just want to sell the dream to as many suckers as they can.

The guys I know, say yes we have 3000 - 4000 - 5000 hours on Airbus, where we go now? There are not many good jobs to move on to anymore, even when you have the experience.

Now this thread was about DE FO's to AL, there is an own thread about cadets to AL, I am not sure why this is a topic here, but for sure if companies want to have a cadet program, they should also give a chance to some of the already trained low hour pilots in the same scheme. The odds of any low hour CPL without jet experience or A320 TR of getting a job as direct entry FO are probably pretty low, as there are pretty many guys with thousands of A320 hours applying for the same job.

Last edited by truckflyer; 29th Jul 2013 at 10:16.