PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2013, 17:54
Danny42C

Strangers in our midst.

Fareastdriver,

Brings back memories of my days with No.8 (IAF) in '43-'44. And at Thorney Island once a (single seat) Gnat came through, flown by a Flt.Lt. Pal. Looked a nice little machine, and I believe they had some success with them in the wars with Pakistan. As you say, good guys.

Yes, only 75 yards out on the grass, we were always acutely aware of our exposed position - still, you could always think of someone worse off than yourself - the Runway Control Corporal in his van ! (at least one was written-off in a Vulcan crash, I think).

One or two of our top-scorers in the B.o.B tell a similar tale of their first "kill" - in the melée, it just "popped up" point-blank from nowhere...D.

26er,

So now we've quite a roll of good customers - your five, plus Israelis, Saudis and Indians. Anyone know any more ?. (Hope we got our money up front). It's a wonder that we had any training capacity left for our own Bloggses !
Did the Israelis shoot 'em, or the Ghanaians when they got back ? (not that it matters to them much !)

As for the Kuwaiti Hunters, when I was at the School in '64-'67, the joke was that they'd bought two - one flown in Kuwait and the other kept in store at Shawbury - so the'yd got Adequate Horizontal Separation (Air Traffic wise).D

Cheers to you both, Danny

Last edited by Danny42C; 28th Jul 2013 at 18:10.