PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 28th Jul 2013, 16:59
OhNoCB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as you said only a few operators will take modular student
If this was aimed at me, I must correct you. I never said only a few operators will take modular. I said a few PREFER modular. I can't think of 1 single airline at the minute which wont accept modular.

CTC as I have said before are/were probably the best standalone integrated provider due to the Easyjet partnership. You have to remember that they may have a 100% placement record but it can be years before you are placed and last time I knew (stand to be corrected) students are only guaranteed a 6 month flexicrew contract. I know 1 person from CTC now a captain in Easyjet who was offered this, worked it and then got offered permanent, but according to him, there were more that got dumped at the end of the 6 month period than not.

Now of course you can say that having worked for 6 months on a A319 will improve your prospects, and it is true but it is not a given that you will get a job afterwards, but it still lets CTC say they had 100% success.

OAA are known to include every person ever involved with them in their employment stats. If you went to OAA to do theory only and continued modular elsewhere, they will include you as a successful employment stat whenever you get a job, and as has been discussed, most of these jobs have been with Ryanair which is going to be slowing down now.

One more thing to think about perhaps. Every person I have encountered so far in my aviation life that has trained modular has been a reader/poster on this website. I have encountered many many integrated students who have not heard of it. I believe this is down to a fair portion of integrated students who swallow the FTO marketing and jump right in, whereas by nature people who have even given a fair consideration to modular training will likely have stumbled upon this website due to the increased amount of research they almost HAVE to do. You may find this a reason for finding less integrated students complaining on here, but I dare say that if there was a site-wide poll on here for employed people to say which path they took, the majority would say modular. NOT because modular students are more or less employable, but merely because IN MY OPINION they are far more likely to be users of a site such as this.