PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R44
Thread: Robinson R44
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2003, 08:53
RobboRider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sprocket

I'll go to Aviall myself tomorrow then. I ran them one morning this week but the guy I spoke to said he hadn't heard of it. But you get plenty of times where you strike the wrong guy who hasn't heard of something but if you'd got one of the others the answer would have been more favourable. He tried to tell me Innox was the bee's knees but I've used that on a boat motor and I reckon it never lasted as long as the WD 40.

Speaking of answers; Try this

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[
Dear Mr. Martin:

RHC is not aware of any debonding problems associated with any waxes or corrosion inhibitors.

With respect to waxes, use a carnuba-type wax if you ever intend to repaint your blades. Silicon-type waxes, while not prohibited, have an annoying tendency to cause "fish-eyeing" in subsequent paint applications. I do not know if the same holds true for the "modern polymeric substances" you mentioned. Also, to preclude the possibility of frictional heat buildup, do not use power tools on blades.

Regarding corrosion inhibitors, we have for may years recommended either ACF-50 or Corrosion-X, mainly because of their superior corrosion protection properties over the omnipresent WD-40. We have no objection to your continued use of WD-40, but do not spray it on Teflon-based hinges such as MR hub hinges, rod ends, tail rotor drive shaft damper pivots, governor or carb heat assist friction clutches, etc, or any rubber belts.

We are aware of debonding problems due to excessive heat from either direct (flame, or heat gun) or indirect (power tools) sources, which is why our Maintenance Manuals (MM) contain warnings to avoid heating blades above 175 degrees F. We also prohibit the use of chemical paint strippers on blades.

Presently, there is no published list of specifically approved corrosion inhibitors for our aircraft; we will incorporate such a list in a future MM revision. I am not familiar with RP-7; is the CRC product you refer to actually CRC-3.36?

Sincerely,
Patrick Cox
RHC Tech Support

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
Direct from the horses mouth.

Cheers