PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - laa permit aircraft for tug use
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2013, 13:19
500 above

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
100% sure that is not the case. his instructor runs a flight school with just a motor glider.
I wouldn't be so sure, but maybe I'm cynical having been in the industry for a while. Has the instructor suggested that he 'looks after' or 'manages' the aircraft? Perhaps he has stated that he could utilise the aircraft a bit to 'mitigate' costs...?

What his instructor suggests has some merit, but like others have said ... It sounds like some self interest is creeping in there! I certainly would not recommend what he/she is suggesting.
Absolutely!

Sounds like your son is looking to get a CPL, he would need an EASA PPL would would need to be done in an EASA aircraft, which the Eurofox certainly isn't.
You need to look into this. Don't take a (possibly impartial?) glider instructors word for it. The poster is absolutely correct. Your son needs an EASA PPL(A), remember.

Would a share in something work out cheaper? Would he be able to use an aircraft he had a share in for his ppl training? I am told things like Cessna 150 ect are now thought of as “old iron” and are rotting on airfields in droves because they cost so much to run, is this true?
I'd strongly suggest he joins a small (4 person) group on an aircraft which is capable/legal for night flight for the night qualification, flight in IMC for the IR(R) and obviously for the PPL(A). This is indeed possible.

With a small group with the right members (weekend flyers etc) he would have most of the week to train for the above. Larger groups may pose a problem on more than one front. Seek impartial advice! The benefit of doing the above with a share in an aircraft based at an airfield/airport that offers decent commercial training is that he would already be familiar with that airports procedures and airspace. On saying that, I 'grew up' flying Luscombe's, Condors and a Chipmunk in and out of many short farm strips for fun. Flying from a controlled field in his early stages can also promote discipline in R/T etc. All of this can be learnt under any decent instructor from any sort of airfield/airport, however.

Last edited by 500 above; 28th Jul 2013 at 13:28.