PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Aircraft 'Emergency' Landing
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2013, 05:07
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Bloggs, in what way do you consider Airservices non-compliant?

The specified time for most non-routine Met products and Hazard alerting is delegated to regional air navigation agreements.
AsA doesn't comply with ICAO Annex 11 Chapter 4 (my old version, at least). There is no "one hour" criteria in there.

Somebody (AsA or CASA) has created the "within one hour" requirement. If a regional air nav agreement has that in it, so be it. AsA is still non-compliant with the basic ICAO reg.

Originally Posted by Lookleft
But what happened after that? What happened to the active operational control?
I don't fly for QF. I don't know whether QF FD (I assume Flight Despatch?) "operationally controls" QF aircraft, or whether it merely provides timely information (which it did in this case) and then lets the crew do the "operational controlling".

Does it really matter though? Would QF FD have made the aircraft go somewhere else based on the available info and the current rules (and previous weather incidents?)? I doubt it. But at least the crew had the latest weather for ADL at their fingertips pretty quickly and certainly well before any PNR.

I don't think that its as straightforward as simply acarsing ( a new verb!) an updated TAF.
I absolutely agree. I have never suggested that the situation would not have occurred had both crews been given any info earlier (perhaps the MIA AWIS, which was U/S, would have helped re the relative humidity).

Last edited by Capn Bloggs; 28th Jul 2013 at 05:09.