PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there a Trend towards an Instructor shortage?
Old 7th Mar 2003, 07:29
NTS check

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO the proposed changes to the FI rating under the new CAR pt61 will go a long way to alleviating the problem of finding and keeping qualified instructors. Under the new part the 3 grades of instructor rating will be abandoned in favour of a plain simple FI rating. Additional approvals (multi, instrument etc) are then added depending on the particular bods experience. A similar concept to the current IR.

I think this solves a number of problems -

1. It should go some way to removing the current stigma of being tarred with the instructor brush (and especially the grade 1 brush).

2. It will allow pilots with industry experience to use that experience in the instructing role. For example - I held approvals under 217 to conduct IR renewals, conversion training etc as part of a company check and training system. But now, after I have left the company, because I only hold a basic grade 3 FI rating and have never been involved in ab initio training I am required to be under direct supervision for (whatever the time period is) hours and can't teach IF or do conversion training. So I'm effectively competing with 200 TT instructors. Under the proposed system my previous industry experience would be recognised and subject to any required training and/or flight check I could conduct the training. Seems logical to me!

3. If we can remove the instructing stigma we may be able to encourage a system where bare CPL holders 'go bush' for a couple of years then migrate back to the capitals to continue their careers as either instructors (passing on that well learned experience) or to continue down the multi, turbine, RPT, airline route. Under the proposed system teaching at CPL level will require 300 hours (?) of commercial experience. The present system of 200hr instructors can surely be done better!

Interested in your thoughts!