PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hero pilot 'back-flipped' his fighter jet at 250ft to avoid a crash!
Old 27th Jul 2013, 22:00
Surrey Towers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There certainly was and to my knowledge I believe there still is.

AAMofF I am having a little problem with this. I pride myself as having had excellent aerobatic training - and over 10 years of display flying. Not in jets but some decent aeroplanes and WW1 replicas.

So, this is where I cannot get my mind round this almost absurd incident.

To seperate to two situations here we have a glider and a Tornado and they close at a an alarming rate when the GR decides to bunt at 250' - in other words to invert his aircraft and pull through to straight and level - but at what height????. The glider pilot on the other hand decided to pull up and in doing so made 50'. By this time that would have made NO difference to what the GR was doing.

We have to assume the board's findings are agreed but if I were on the board I could not and would not agree. Neil Williams once said that the most useless piece of sky is that above you. I don't recall him ever making comment about the amount of air below you if you half roll at 250' and high speed and g - and pulling. My conclusion is that there is reckless belief in this incident.

I await Wing Comdr Spry's further comment on this.