PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - laa permit aircraft for tug use
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2013, 20:11
mydogsprat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To clarify the situation a bit.
I have been told he needs a further 36 hrs for his ppl @ £200 per hour at the closest airfield offering flight training which is 90mins each way by car. Then another 100hrs @£114 per hour towards his cpl. Or £18400 total.
His instructor has recommended he buys a ” light sport aircraft.” I have found them with about 200 hrs on them for around £20k his instructor says that you can run them for around £35hr wet and would charge £30 hr for his training. He also says that we would lose very little reselling it maybe £2-£3k. So 36 hrs @ £65 then 100 hrs @35 is a total of £5840 + depreciation is still half the price (if nothing goes badly wrong)
I don’t know enough to decide if this is a good idea, or how safe these “light sport aircraft” are as most of them were sold as kits. I also feel it would be an advantage for my son to be able to fly whenever he likes/can.
Would a share in something work out cheaper? Would he be able to use an aircraft he had a share in for his ppl training? I am told things like Cessna 150 ect are now thought of as “old iron” and are rotting on airfields in droves because they cost so much to run, is this true?
Thanks to all so far that have taken the time to respond. As you can see I have limited knowledge of all things aviation.