PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You only gets what you pay's for !
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2013, 17:20
maxred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are probably aware that I have been less than complimentary regarding the UK maintenance scene, simply because I have been at the arse end of several of all the poor/rubbish/con artist maintenance outfits, UK wide.

I am now blissfully content with my aeroplane being looked after lovingly and professionally, in Ireland.

When I looked into the issues, and with advice from a really good outfit, there are a number of problems.
1. Lack of skill and knowledge, particularly as the aircraft gets older, on the part of mechs.
2. A small pool, with a large number of maintenance outfits, all competing for business, a pool that is shrinking.
3. A significant shift of pilots to LAA/Permit.
4. An ever increasing bureaucratic burden, where ultimately, the pilot has to pay.
5. A severe lack of any understanding in Customer Service.
6. Outfits, with an increasing operating cost base, facing an inability to pay a decent salary to get real experience on the mech front, therefore caught in a downward spiral - poor work, decreasing income, inability to attract talent, etc etc.

Now, I know there will be exceptions, but that is my take on the scene, and the more owner/pilots, look around for the ever cheaper deals, the worse the situation will become.

It is a serious issue..