PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tax Free Wage to Fight a War?
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2003, 03:14
DESPERADO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opso,
Before we get into an argument about who's is the biggest, and 'get some time in etc', my 'over a year away' was on ops, i.e. where I am in harms way, I thought that is what this discussion was about. I do appreciate that there are many out there, especially in the helo world who will have done a lot more than me, but I don't think that it makes my opinion any less valid. If I added up all the time away from home over my time in the RAF it would be several years, and a significant percentage of my service.

YakYak,
I have a wife and children like many others. I don't want you to get the impression that I am not sympathetic to the issues, but what I want is significant improvements in the things that you talk about, welfare issues matter more than money in our pockets. I agree that the current system, which is supposed to be an improvement over what we used to have, is wholly inadequate, underfunded and unfair. I also agree, as I said in my previous post that people should not have to buy their own basic kit, but I will repeat also, that I carry items in the cockpit with me, that are comercially available, personal to me, and I don't expect the govt to pay for them.

I don't agree that tax-free is the way to go. I believe in welfare improvements for everyone. If it were tax free, then the amount of 'welfare' you got would be dependant on your rank! I, like most aircrew officers, am in the 40% bracket, is it fair that I get more money whilst I am away on ops than an SAC when it is supposed to be 'welfare' that you are talking about.

My previous point still stands, if you want tax free because you want more money, good luck to you, I wouldn't turn it down either, but whinging about it, complaining about the terms that you signed up for is pretty unconvincing to me. It does not hold you in good light to the people who read this, and your subordinates.

Get the welfare right for everyone. Issue each Squadron/Unit with several laptops computers with webcam's and let family use them whenever they want. Get webcams in theatre so that you can see and talk to family face to face. Many more phones in theatre, 20mins per day, not per week. That kind of stuff is priceless, and doesn't have rank.

Pay your taxes like everyone else and just think about what is truly important at this dangerous time.

To anyone out there thinking of joining the airforce, I can heartily recommend it, loved it, and still love it. Don't join without your eyes wide open though. However, now that the proverbial is about to hit the fan all I can think of is what a great bunch of people I am with at the moment, and in the words of Henry V (or Shakespeare):

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile this day shall gentle his condition. And gentleman in England now a-bed shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold there manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day"

Some may think it cheesey, but sums it up nicely for me. It is not about the money, and never has been. I say again, if you want to be rich, go do something else. We are paid a fair salary.