PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strange flight training practices
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2013, 10:04
Volumex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets not even mention the BS way of teaching forced landings only down to 500' AGL!
After my PPL I was getting a checkout in a Decathlon and the instructor simulated an engine failure. I picked the field, flew the circuit etc. When I got to 500' he told me to keep going. I crapped myself all the way down. I managed to just clear the fence and was in the process of flaring when the instructor told me to go around.

It scared the bejebus out of me. It would be been a successful forced landing, but like as said above - the last 500' are where it gets interesting. I'd highly recommend that everyone does it.

I was speaking to the instructor later, and it was his standard forced landing area. He knows the farmer that owns the paddock (the farmer used it as his own strip but rarely used it so it didn't look like a runway.) The instructor sets the plane up adjacent to the strip at a reasonable altitude so that it is the obvious choice. Then he sits quietly in the back and watches the bunny up the front sweat.