PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strange flight training practices
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2013, 08:05
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know an instructor at a 'remote' country airport, who used to fly his students into 'fair weather Cu' on a good day at a 'safe' alt. to show them what may / could / probably will / happen should they try this later 'in the real world'.....
Griffo,
That wouldn't be that remote country town with a local airport identified as YSBK, would it?

what may / could / probably will
What you mean is "will happen". I always used to start a clock, the average time to loss of control was around 30s, the best a little over 60s, always the "graduation test" after the initial 3h IF in those days of the Restricted PPL, no student ever failed to spiral out.

I am pleased ( having been accused of all sorts of illegality -- which was true, but now the statute of limitations is my friend) to make the claim that none of my students have even had an accident IFR when unqualified to fly IFR.

One of the results of the PIFR has been a reduction such accidents, I think it is, in part, more pilots are qualified, and equally importantly, more pilots have discovered, in controlled conditions, that all the warnings about inadvertent IFR, when not trained AND CURRENT, are true.

Tootle pip!!

PS: I would point out that I was one of of the few instructors on the field, who actually had an instrument rating, so it wasn't quite the blind leading the blind.

Last edited by LeadSled; 27th Jul 2013 at 08:08.