PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Twin Comanche Drivers?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2013, 02:38
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
Hi Mr XXiLim,

Thanks for the response, if you only have the two to pick from, then go for the PA-39, you will enjoy it.
As has been said by others, it is a pleasant aircraft to fly.
When landing, just learn to hold off whilst she floats a little - that wing trailing edge with flap down is not far from the ground, so you will get some effect.
Where your A-36 'clunks on' in comparison, the PA-24 Single, and PA-30, basically share the same airframe / wing, and share the same 'float', although with the single, the approach speed can be less.

I found the '30' to be an 'honest' aircraft, in which you do learn to be 'accurate' with S/E speed / power etc, otherwise the VSI may not show much 'up' at all.....but that's a good learning machine, and there are many other aircraft in the 'real world', which, with a reasonable load, will perform likewise......
I have no experience on the '39'.

As an aside. the POH I had at the time had about 3 pages devoted to the fuel fired heater in the nose - how to start / manage etc - more space than was given to some aspects of actually operating the aeroplane...
It was also said in the same POH that, said heater used 'so little fuel' that its consumption rate was not significant, and for practical purposes, could be ignored.

I still took it 'into account' when used.....'Old Habits' etc....

Good Luck, and ENJOY!!!

Cheers

Last edited by Ex FSO GRIFFO; 27th Jul 2013 at 02:40.