PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Below the GS at SFO again
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2013, 01:43
Coagie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By the way, EVA employ quite a few western pilots so before you lambast Asian crews, just make sure this crew is Asian maybe.
Armchairpilot94116, you could be right. Dependence on automation is a worldwide problem in commercial passenger aviation. No nationality or race is exempt. It does seem, sometimes, that some Asian education cultures emphasize rote memory at the expense of intuition, and, maybe, that's where Californian's joke about DWA instead of DWI (Driving While Asian, instead of, Driving While Intoxicated) began. If you just try to memorize every scenerio the vehicle might get into, and the proper response, rather than knowing why this and why that, you're probably not going to be a good driver or pilot. I think it's a cultural education thing, rather than a racial thing, as I haven't noticed it with 3rd or longer generation Asians in the US. Also, I think the Japanese do a good job driving and flying. Maybe it was some pretty good piloting that kept that 747, with the broken tail, up so long, a while back.

Last edited by Coagie; 27th Jul 2013 at 01:47. Reason: Misspelled "Japanese"