PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Below the GS at SFO again
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2013, 23:38
WHBM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Coagie
the stall and recovery requirement for a PPL...... I don't know what all countries may have changed, but I'm thinking of the US.
UK PPL skill test requires three types of stall, plus of course all the training for these.

It's appropriate to be writing about PPL, because if SFO have taken away the ILS and the PAPIs on this runway for the summer, they have effectively put it back to the level of a grass field - or worse, because my own PPL field has PAPIs. I know there are those on this thread sniggering up their sleeves at others who have difficulty with the approach, but it reminds me of people who despise seat belts in their cars because they feel they are "good drivers".

It is surely inappropriate for the FAA to be making any comment on this, when it is the same FAA's plan for runway works which decided to withdraw the landing aids on this runway for seemingly the whole summer, and then carry on using it as if nothing had changed. Do they really believe that landing aids are somehow a waste of money ?

Finally, if we are going to write about professionalism, we can also ask the SFO fire team how they managed with all their training and world-beating equipment to run over and kill, with a fire truck, one of the pax who had just evacuated from the Asiana aircraft, during their whoop-de-do, gung-ho response to the incident, which I can't recall ever happening at any aircraft accident scene before - see here :

BBC News - Asiana flight 214 victim killed by fire engine