PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Below the GS at SFO again
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2013, 20:18
Contacttower
Fly Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been going on about this for a long time, all we really need is a few smoking holes in the country side and we will see the same changes here in Europe and in Asia as the FAA has now gotten through.
Well both easyJet and Ryanair have been doing it for almost 20 years now and I don't see them making too many smoking holes...

I always find this "cadet bashing" that occurs after pretty much every accident (regardless of whether cadets were involved or not) a bit bizarre.

Everyone was a 250 hour pilot once and speaking from a European perspective if you have 250hrs and have been through the integrated flight training system the chances are that you will be flying an A320 pretty soon after that. There does not seem to be an inherent problem with this from a safety point of view.

Outside of the USA the question of the experience is also rapidly changing. In most of the world it is no longer realistic to expect many new first officers to have significant flying experience before airline flying. Air forces are getting smaller and GA operations that low houred pilots might once have done have largely disappeared. It is also not always desirable for instructing to become a hour building process either because it often leads to poor instruction and the blind leading the blind so to speak.

One way or another airlines have to face up to the fact that more of their pilots will be low experience. This has to be dealt with by rigorous training and experience development within the airline environment. That is possibly where the Asian carriers are going wrong.

What also strikes me is that a lot of the pilots involved in these handling accidents, loss of control, CFIT etc are actually usually very experienced, they are not usually cadets. In fact I can't think of a major accident in which a 'cadet' was to blame. Incompetence among experienced crews seems much more common. Often probably experienced pilots who have become 'magenta line' sinners themselves after years of routine that rarely changes are the victim of sudden challenges which cause them to lose the plot.

Airline recurrent training is almost certainly not dealing with this issue well enough at the moment - this far more important than whether the pilot started out as a cadet or with a thousand hours GA or whatever five or ten years down the line.