PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2013, 17:45
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahh, Danny,

You have I believe absolutely described what I would know as a switchpigs. As an example I will call one in on myself. When I was gliding, many moons ago, we had a pre landing check of WULF;

W -Water ballast dumped
U - Undercarriage down
L - Loose articles stowed (maps, drinks etc)
F - Flaps set

This was usually done around 600 feet and parallel to the touchdown point, heading downwind. Being recently fledged on a glider with a retractable undercarriage I was very anxious to ensure I got it right, so, around 800 feet I do WULF, as I look left passing the touchdown point I then repeat my actions, this time reversing my selections on Undercarriage and Flaps. Needless to say I did the best landing I ever managed. Wheels up, flaps up, smooth as a baby's bottom. No damage to the Astir, no damage to me apart from the bar bill, the rules are just like getting a hole in one at golf. I would suspect though that your previous experience of flying the Meteor gave you the satisfaction of seeing what had occurred. I never realised Air Traffic Controllers lived such an exciting existence. Keep it up Danny, you've got us hanging again.

Smudge