PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA response time to complaint?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2013, 15:20
Avionker

Received 172 Likes on 80 Posts
MiD

I have so far avoided getting personal and/or abusive, and will endeavour to continue in that manner. I will skip over the fact that we all suspect that you had a non-changeable ticket and that therefore, even had you successfully contacted BA, your situation would probably have been unaltered.

Obviously your son falling ill was beyond any-ones control, but I do feel that your situation spiraled rapidly downhill due to poor planning and decision making on your behalf. You said:-

No I couldn’t have stayed in Spain; I had no place to stay, no clothes, no internet or enough credit on the telephone to request assistance.
Delays can happen for a multitude of reasons, and a bit of contingency planning will allow you to deal with the situation in a more relaxed and rational manner. Let me list a few points for your consideration, if I may.

1) You flew to Spain on the 19th and were due to return on the 22nd. You say that another overnight stay after you missed your flight was not an option, as you had no clothes. Personally if I were planning on staying 3 nights in another country I would pack sufficient clothing for 5 days.

2) You had nowhere to stay. I'm sure that the Airport Information desk could have supplied details of nearby hotels. After finding out that a flight was going to cost in excess of 700 euros I would have bolted to an hotel, where I would have had internet access and sorted out a cheaper flight the next day. This would also have meant, that for that night at least, you would have been closer to your son possibly alleviating some of your anxiety. You could also have contacted family/friends back home for support or assistance.

3) Why not buy a local Pay as You Go sim card for your phone? That would have solved the phone credit problems. Personally I have had a contract phone for several years but prior to that I always ensured that I had plenty of credit before leaving home and could top up from overseas with no problems.

I will very much appreciate any ideas / advice on obtaining a full refund from British Airways re their excessive and unfair charge of 769 euros forced to pay to return home .
You had several options open to you, had you only been able to see them. I really do not see how you can claim that BA "forced" you to spend 769 euros. You did not have to fly back that day with them did you?

If you walk up to any airline desk and say "I must fly from A to B today" then standby to get fleeced. Far better to accept a night in an hotel and book a flight on the internet.

Another point I would like you to consider is your claim that BA are not "family friendly". Now bear in mind that when all this was going on you were travelling on your MAD-LHR booking. This booking was for a single adult travelling, not an adult and child.

Again I appreciate that 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing. Perhaps, just perhaps, if you read this post you will begin to see that your situation, handled differently could have been a lot less traumatic for you.

I think to blame BA entirely, as you are doing, is extremely unfair and reflects very poorly on you. Particularly in light of the fact that they are flying you to Madrid gratis.

I would like to point out that I do not, and have never, worked for or been affiliated with BA in anyway.