PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there a Trend towards an Instructor shortage?
Old 6th Mar 2003, 21:41
Hugh Jarse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends..

A shortage of pilots? Don't think so.

A shortage of suitably qualified and experienced pilots? Quite possibly.

tippathplane wrote
Sounds like they are trying to sell spots on thier next instructor course to me.
It's a tried and proven way of getting you to part with your readies, and I'd be very cautious about signing up based on that statement alone.

Java, you wrote "well qualified" instructors. There are a kazillion Grade 3's around. To me, "well qualified" would mean a grade 2 or 1 with IFR, multi-engine, and even aero's etc. It depends on what your prospective employer wants or needs.

At the end of the instructor school you will not be "well qualified". It means that you will have to work hard (nothing wrong with that) to build your hours in order to upgrade, then invest in getting the various approvals to make yourself "well qualified".

If you're fortunate enough to land yourself a position with a reputable organisation that values their employees, they might see your potential and facilitate your approvals. I've only worked at one such establishment.

One problem with taking the instructing path (which has been covered elsewhere in this forum), is that except in very few circumstances the career path and financial rewards are just not there in comparison to following a career with an airline in Australia

Don't get me wrong. I had a great time and had some of the most memorable and rewarding experiences when I instructed.

But it didn't pay the bills

Good luck