PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strange flight training practices
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2013, 09:10
Horatio Leafblower

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
Let's use your 16 minute example on a 'heavy single'. 60 L/ph cruise and 75 L/ph climb.

16 minutes at 75 L/ph = 20L

16 minutes at 60 L/ph = 16L
Thanks for the maths lesson.

Flight time from Scone to Tamworth was 38 minutes. I am sure you would agree that the fuel required to circle to 6500 within 3nm (ie: going nowhere) would be a significant addition to the flight fuel required?

38 minutes cruise @ 24lph = 15.2 lts
Climb fuel @ (say) 32lph = 9 lts
Plus 15% variable = 27.6 lts
plus 45 min FR = 19 lts tot 47 lts required, plus any alternates and operational requirements.

This was a short leg with fuel at both ends.

I am sure you would agree the student should have been taught to calculate the correct fuel required.

The leg didn't need to be much longer to become critical and a "she'll be right" attitude to fuel planning is not conducive to a long life expectancy.

Night flying in a Single (espec a slow one) is one of the most dangerous things we do. YOU HAVE TO KNOW YOUR **** cos if it all goes wrong you have very very limited options

Re your re-post (above) - thank god for that I thought I was going insane.

THE POINT OF THE THREAD
being that this person was AT BEST taught these dubious practices by inbred junior instructors at a school of Chinese-Whispers.
BUT NO: A Grade 1 instructor from that school has verified that these are the NVFR techniques enforced BY THE CFI.

Last edited by Horatio Leafblower; 26th Jul 2013 at 09:24. Reason: to add a maths lesson of my own