PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft down in Channel
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2013, 08:36
fisbangwollop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moli.......not at all but I am implying if your already in comms with an ATC agency then please make your initial Distress call with that agency.....certainly both London and Scottish have direct line comms with D&D so help is only seconds away. As for London coverage no I cannot comment on that And yes I fully understand how busy the London FIR frequency can be but I can Assure you a Mayday call would be heard amongst the rabble of noise.

I would also recommend that if able to do so at the time (remembering aviate,navigate,communicate) would be to Squawk 7700 as that would then show SOS on every radar that had you in cover and also alert D&D to the fact someone was in distress......the normal action from them would be a quick call to London/Scottish info asking if they were working traffic in the observed position...with mode S even better as they would have the ident of the aircraft.

So no Moli...all I am saying is if you already have contact with an ATC agency please advise them first of your problem without blindly trying to call D&D.......obviously if your not in comms with anyone and yes there are loads of folk out there that don't bother then an initial call on 121.5 to D&D would be appropriate.