PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Twin Comanche Drivers?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2013, 07:19
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's plenty of info on the Net about the "twin can" as they where affectionately known:-)
Did my IFR rating on one a 100 yrs ago in TW during Jan, half tnks 2 up & one donk, keep an eye out for a good cleared flat field!:-)
Nice to fly though, kinda like an old Jaguar sports car:-)
160HPx2 & a 160 kts, not much around that could match those figures back then.
If you are prone to reacting to fuel vapors within the cabin then I'd suggest lots of fresh air directly at yr face, the fuel system leaked like a sieve at the fuel selectors which as has been said was a night mare with wear.
I used to plan on 60 ltrs an hr (longer flights)& that worked out pretty good as the extra power/fuel used in the Clb was somewhat negated with a lower pwr setting for descent.
The 12v U/C system ( I think a lot are 24v these days)can be a problem to if not serviced reg. A smaller nose wheel when fitted helped with the wheel barrow type Ldgs the twin can was renowned for. Fly it on in a 'flattish' attitude using pwr where needed worked for me. Flaring & trying to hold it off would usually mean hello I have arrived !:-)
They had a bad reputation when they first hit the skies but like all thoroughbreds they needed to be treated with luv & respect:-) Bit like the misses..........phew thank god for Ebay!

Enjoy the ride, as towards the end of yr career it's those days flying challenging machines that will live on in yr memory

Wmk2

Last edited by Wally Mk2; 26th Jul 2013 at 07:25.