PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Twin Comanche Drivers?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2013, 23:32
tecman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite a few bar hours have been spent comparing the A36 and PA24. As always it's horses for courses but, for what it's worth, I favour the view that says the Comanche is much more of the 'pilots' aircraft. It's a bit more demanding to handle but rewards the ego when flown well. There is a fair bit of handling folklore associated with both the single and twins but be wary of falling into the traps of e.g. excessive approach speed. You can do really nice landings, with lots of flap, at the book speeds. Generally, if you find yourself floating, you're doing it wrong. Similarly, if you're 'arriving' hard, a short application of power around the flare can work well.

Having said that, there are some delightful idiosyncrasies which I presume come mainly from the wing form (which is quite symmetrical, as I recall). I've noticed it mainly with the singles that have the tip tanks but it's a cool thing to be able to float a few cm above the runway - seemingly for ever - on a calm day. The smallest deflection of the little finger on the yoke will then land the aircraft.

By the way, the manual style may simply be an age thing. These aircraft are all getting pretty long in the tooth now. Not sure what vintage your A36 is but, in general, you see a lot of difference in manuals from the 60s and 80s.

Enjoy the training and avoid those 'twin catastrophe' stories.